A couple of weeks ago I was asked to do a cake for the partner of a family friend. After a bit of back and forth it was decided that he wanted cakes in the shape of the number 42 with red and yellow roses. That all sounded very lovely but my next issue was that my Mum was holiday! Stress! I had never made a cake in the shape of numbers before, and I definitely hadn't iced anything that shape so I was a bit panicky. I also hadn't used flower sprays to decorate a cake before so to do all this without any guidance from my Mum was making me a little apprehensive!
But I carried on an made a plan and made a cake unlike anything I'd done before and I was mostly pleased with it. My number 2 gave me a bit of trouble - I thought it was wider than it was and stuck my finger through it! This meant a bit of patching up and hiding it with flowers but you couldn't really see it. Although I gave strict instructions that no one was to stand looking at it from the left! :p
I was pleased with the flowers though and it was an excellent learning curve. Now I've got the technical bits down for the roses, I can concentrate on making the petals thinner and more delicate.
So without further ado here are the pictures of the finished cake. Hope you like it!